Frivolous lawsuits hurt everyone
They increase the cost of everything Colorado families purchase. They suppress wages paid to Colorado workers. They waste time, increase stress, and hamper innovation and productivity at Colorado businesses.
Frivolous lawsuits hurt our economy, harm our families and threaten our future.
More lawsuits, fewer jobs
- 52,000 lawsuits are filed each day in the U.S.
- 83% of small business owners say the lawsuit system doesn’t work well because lawyers clog the courts with lawsuits and real victims have to wait for justice.
- Less than 45 cents of every dollar spent on lawsuits actually goes to compensate injured victims.
- 93% of small business owners say frivolous lawsuits are serious problem.
- The cost to an employer of defending a wrongful-termination or discrimination lawsuit can be $25,000 to $50,000 without a trial – and more than $100,000 if the case goes to trial.
- One in three business owners say they have been sued or threatened with a lawsuit recently.
- Businesses have no choice but to pass along these costs to consumers, through higher prices, or to workers, through lower wages.
Fairness in the courtroom
Colorado Lawsuit Abuse Watch (CO-LAW) is a non-partisan project of the Colorado Civil Justice League. CO-LAW focuses on limiting frivolous lawsuits and returning common sense to the courtroom.
CO-LAW and our grassroots members believe:
- Lawsuits should be the last resort after all other options have failed.
- Victims of wrongdoing or negligence should be properly compensated for their injury or loss.
- Colorado families and businesses should be protected from frivolous, unfounded or speculative lawsuits.
Membership in CO-LAW is free!
Are you tired of paying too much for household essentials because lawsuits drive up costs?
Does it bother you that frivolous lawsuits reduce your take-home pay?
Do you worry that you or your employer could be blindsided by a frivolous lawsuit?
Join CO-LAW today — at no cost — and join the fight against runaway lawsuits!